Skip to content

a napping house

March 10, 2008

My oldest son hasn’t taken a nap in a while. But he’s napping today – along with everyone else, including the dog. I reached the threshold of what I could handle in one day and sent everyone to bed. In reality, they could all benefit from some extra sleep today, so I don’t feel bad about it at all.

It actually all started Saturday night… no, farther back… last Wednesday. The oldest came to me with a complaint about an itchy bug bite on his neck. It looked more like a scratch than a bite, and his brother had some similar itchy scratches on his neck as well. By the next day I knew all too well what had happened. Poison ivy. By the time I realized what it was, they had managed to spread it to their bellies, faces, and private parts. I had no idea they could get into poison ivy in the winter – there is nothing green anywhere out there. But apparently the vines themselves are just as toxic as the leaves. They told me they had been pulling vines out of the ground earlier that day when they were playing in the wooded part of the yard, and they’ve been whining, scratching, and complaining, pretty much constantly since then. I doubt they’ll ever touch another vine again.

Okay, that brings us to Saturday night. The baby had a fever of 102.3. No other symptoms, just a fever. He seemed much better Sunday morning, but then last night when I heard him whining in the middle of the night, I knew the fever was back. Sure enough – 103.7. My medicine cabinet is evidence that our kids aren’t sick enough for medicine very often. The only fever reducer I could find had been expired for 2 years. So, hubby was off to Kroger for some ibuprofen. When he got home, the baby was laying with me in bed, almost asleep, but still whining and obviously uncomfortable. Our first attempt to get the medicine down him was followed by gagging, and then a replay of everything he ate that day – fortunately in the sink, not in my bed. After more comforting and consoling, we finally got him to take the medicine, a very tiny bit at a time. And we were off to bed.  I normally get up when my husband leaves for work but I just couldn’t do it today. I laid there in bed weighing the decision: what would be worse – starting the day the day exhausted or starting the day running behind?  I opted to sleep in.

Only minutes after I got out of bed, my oldest son greeted me with my favorite words “Mom, the dog threw up.” Yay. Before the baby was awake this morning, I was on my hands and knees cleaning up the dog’s mess. When the baby woke up, his fever was still there, but thankfully much lower. His mood, however, was not improved. He spent the whole morning whining and crying. The older two really struggled through school today and just seem really tired and grumpy. I don’t know if it is related to their itchiness, or their long day yesterday, or if they are coming down with the mystery illness. Time will tell, I guess.

Not long after lunch, the oldest grandly announced, “Mom, the dog threw up again!” That was it. I sent the dog outside and everyone else to bed. And here I sit, selfishly enjoying my whine-free, itch-free, puke-free napping house.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. kim permalink
    March 10, 2008 3:32 pm

    Oh my! It is going around the neighborhood. Maybe we should warn Kerri. 🙂
    Enjoy your quiet moments you deserve it.

  2. kermooch permalink
    March 10, 2008 5:25 pm

    Ah, the elusive quiet moment. I’m glad that you got one. I always enjoy waking up to – “mom, one of the cats puked on the floor.” And why is it they only puke on the carpet?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: